Saturday, October 16, 2021

My Newfound Love of Herbs



Autumn's first frost has brought the beginning of the end to my gardens. Plants are fading and drooping just a little. My heart feels droopy too when I think of the cold, gray winter ahead. Reflecting on this summer's gardens, my absolute favorite crops were herbs. Don't get me wrong - I love my veggie garden and greatly appreciate all of the food it provides, but my heart is happiest in my potager with its beautiful, fragrant herbs and flowers. Cooking with foods grown and harvested from your own garden is rewarding and fun.  Adding fresh homegrown herbs elevates those foods to an entirely new level.  This year I discovered the magic of rosemary and it has been life changing! Ha!  Ok, maybe not life changing, but palate changing for sure! My family has fallen hard and next year's potager will include lots of rosemary.

Herbs are fantastic little plants with so many more uses than I ever imagined. Clearly, they are wonderful to use fresh in culinary endeavors. They are nice to dry and cook with throughout winter too.  They can also be medical powerhouses when used in teas, tinctures, and infusions. I won't pretend to know all about that since I've only begun learning and experimenting. Lastly, I enjoy the scent of herbs. I love to run my hands over the plants and then smell their fragrance on my fingers. Once in a while I'll open a mason jar and smell the dried herbs I store in them. Another way to enjoy those lovely fragrances is making sachets to place in dresser drawers so clothing and linens smell fresh and lovely too!

Here is a video tutorial where I make them:


The direct selling event I mention in the video is on Saturday, November 6 beginning at 10:00 AM:

Ladies Day Out
Black Jack Hills
13450 Chapman Rd
St. George, KS 66535

If you love beautiful scents, also be sure to visit HippieHenHomestead on Etsy!

Until next time...I'm wishing you a beautiful autumn weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michele,
    Here is some additional information and significant meaning on your favourite herb, Rosemary....Carl

    https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/commemoration/symbols-commemoration/rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the interesting information, Carl!

      Delete